Friday, July 31, 2009

Aquarium substrate for healty plants?

Ok guys, I've read for a while and I think I need to get the following:

1layer - flourite, for the plants to root

2layer - just a little laterite for nutrition

3 layer - any kind of gravel for decor purpose only

Is this correct. any recommendations?
Answers:
If they are true underwater plants, you don't need anything but gravel. The problem with putting in fine substrate under the gravel is that it can get stirred up and cloud the water, especially if you have bottom feeders, and they can root just fine in gravel. The most important thing for the plants is the lighting. I only keep sword plants and floating plants but they have all thrived and spread with the use of plain aquarium gravel and good lighting.
I don't know a thing about that stuff, I have a black thumb. But here is a forum all about planted tanks, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/.
too complex a mix.stick with a pound of gravel per gallon of water

No comments:

Post a Comment