Friday, July 31, 2009

Aquarium sand question?

I'm planning on using sand in my freshwater aquarium, I have some Kaleidoscope Colored Play Sand from Texas Agri Products, I asked the company, but they haven't replied. Is it okay to use this sand with a lot of rinsing? Has anyone used it?
Answers:
just so long as it is not too fine, you don't want to plug your filters. If it is for playing with by children then there should be nothing toxic in it.
I ve used play sand just wash it. The bottom feeders will prefer
it clown loach etc.
Yep u can..just make sure u rinse it well
I would definitely stay away from any sort of colored sands. They have dyes in them that could potentially do a great deal of damage.

Go to the hardware store and just get run-of-the-mill lot sand. Rinse it - dry it out - and put it in. I would probably also consider mixing it with another form of clay or laterite substate (if you are planning to making a planted tank).

Good luck!
As long as it contains no silica, you should be okay. It wouldn't be kid-safe if the dye ran out of it.
A
Sand is terrible! It screws up your filter and makes cleaning the tank a chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment