Friday, July 31, 2009

Aplle snail feeding help?

My apple snail appears to have trouble finding the food I leave in the tank (altho maybe thats just the way it looks to me).

He seems hungry to me because he goes around looking for food in the daytime even tho hes supposed to be mostly noctournal.

I have a ten gallon tank and I have two small goldfish in there. The goldfish bother his food while its floating around. not to mention the current created by the airpump seems to make it impossible for him to go up to the top and suck the food over to him by making his little foot funnel.

Almost everything I try to feed him winds up floating on the surface. I've given him lettuce. that floated but he managed to get some of it. I gave him a peice of tomato. that seemed to work because it sank, but it turned the water a little orange and I had to change some of it out. I've given him cucumber wedges today but the fish wont stop mouthing them around.
Answers:
Try weighting down the food. That way he can get it on the bottom, and the goldies can't snatch it away.
Feed him where the goldies can't get him, under something maybe.
Give the goldies their own. A bigger portion will ensure enough for all.
Chances are, the snail is fine. Think how well they do in the wild and realize they're survivors. He will get plenty to eat when he wants it, don't worry.
Because I have outside pond snails who feed on algae, I cannot relate to your question with respect to snails in a tank, but perhaps you can check at the following link for apple snails: http://www.applesnail.net/
There are clips that you can use, like the ones people use to close bags of chips, most pet stores carry them. Goldfish are greedy though and will still try to eat the food. But usually it holds the bigger pieces of food long enough for the snail to grab on and eat enough before the fish get it all. Another thing you can do if your worried is just take the snail out once a week or so and place him in a bowl with some food, let him eat then put him back in the tank. Just make sure he can't climb out, cause they will, or just keep your eye on him while he's eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment