Thursday, July 30, 2009

Air filter question?

I have just bought an air filter for my 10 gallon fish tank. I bought one of those ornaments that bubbles come out of, it is a dinosaur coming out of an egg (the bubbles make the dinosaur bob up and down). But the bubble seem alittle large and strong. I woke up this morning and one of my algae eaters was dead. Is anyone familiar with this type of ornament and if this is normal. Or did I kill off one of my son's pets!
Answers:
You may want to add another airstone that has a finer "mist" of bubbles. The larger the bubble the less of a chance it has to exchange oxygen with the water.
If you feel that the air rator is going a little strong than you truely want you can by an air valve that can be placed in line of the air tubing. It has a little knob on it so that you can adjust the air flow. Now the part of your fish being dead- I really don't think that had anything to do with it but I could be wrong-but most likely I am not. Check the ph balance of the tank. If you have just started the tank you may have put too many fish in too soon. Also if the tank is fairly new then it could be that there was not enough alge to feed the pleco-tanks need time to produce enough alge to feed fish like that one-you can buy alge tablets at your local pet store if you feel that the tank is not producing enough.
Wow, that's weird. I have a air filter and it works well, but then again, I'd suggest getting a smaller air filter. I use to use a ornament that allowed bubbles to come out of it, I unhooked the air hose out of it, took the ornament out completely and that seemed to help. The bubbles weren't so strong and my fish stopped dieing, so if another one dies, you might want to take out the ornament. Hope I helped some!

No comments:

Post a Comment