Friday, July 31, 2009

Aprox. How Long Does It Take For A Male Betta to Start Building A Nest?

Aprox. How Long Does It Take For A Male Betta to Start Building A Nest? I admit I am not a very patient person. But I have tried to breed 3 males to 2 females -- so it must be something I am doing. But anyway, I need a time frame, say, 1 hour - 5 days or whatever. I just need to know how long to wait before I know the male WONT build a nest. And why. I've tried everything. I had two vieltail males (One recently died, one left) and one Crowntail male. One blue, and one red female.

I also would like to know how long it takes for a female to get vertical bars, and if the bars show up on dark blue, and red colored females, for I have not seen it on them yet. (Trust me, I have everything they could possibly need and want for breeding, it's just not working! Help!)
Answers:
You must first separate them and condition them while they cannot see each other.

When the female gets fat with eggs, usually about 2-3 weeks, then float her in a jar in his tank. He will then start his nest.

When it is about 2-3 inches in diameter, you slowly release the female so as not to disturb his nest.

Now you watch them for about 2-3 hours. If she is ready, she will go to him and they will spawn. If she is not ready, she will run from him and he will chase her to the point that he may kill her. She must be removed and re-conditioned.

Don't pull her out right away thinking that he is going to kill her, give them an hour or so to figure it out.

Sometimes the male just doesn't get it and you will need to try another male. It is not usually the female's fault unless she is not in good condition with eggs.
I remember seeing this really cool website on bettas, but I can not remember it at the moment. I suggest researching the web for your information.
Have you conditioned the males and females? If you havn't then sometimes the male is stuburn or tierd and doesn't want to build one. There is no aprox. time that a male makes a bubblenest or a female gets vertical bars. :-) The bars do show up on all females. ;-) What kind of atmosphere are the fish in? Is the breeding tank cycled? How young are the fish, because if they are under 7 months, then they are too young for breeding yet. You probably already know this. so sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. :-( But in order for the fish to be happy, they have to feel safe in their atmosphere, be fed live foods, and most importantly, the fish have to have a "conection" in order to want to breed. You just have to be very patient even though it's hard sometimes. Some males never build nests, and I've had a couple of those! :-P Just try to make the fish as comfortable and happy while breeding. Try not to rush things and it takes "time" for breeding. Don't worry, nature will take it's course sometime. :-)
I have never personally bred bettas but I doubt all bettas blow bubble nest and get their stripes in a certain amount of time. When you say you have tried 3 males to 2 females, you are trying them all one at a time right? Are you conditioning them as well?

I wouldn't try to breed veiltails either, I heard they are the hardest to get rid of since people usually want the fancier types. Do you plan on keeping all of them, even if it's hundreds?

Did you get your bettas from a store or a breeder? Usually they are too old and I guess not in the mood anymore if they were bought from a store.
i just bought a crown tail a few days ago and the next day he started building a bubble nest. It's in the food and the water.
the male is easy to condition. with the females, it more time consuming.

this site is good for reference
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/h.

No comments:

Post a Comment