Thursday, July 30, 2009

any one familiar with the jaguar cichlid?

seems as if none of the pet stores in my area have heard of these awsome fish.
Answers:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/a.

You can have them shipped to you
A
Yeah, I've never seen them anywhere either. Probably have to find a real unique specialty pet store. Or try www.aquabid.com they've got a lot of unique hard to find fish, kinda pricey though. They sell them here as well:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_.
Yes, I have heard of them. They are too big and agressive for my tastes. Most of my cichlids are of the dwarf variety or top out at about 6-7 inches.

I am, however, growing out four 7-bar frontosa right now and they will get larger than most of my other fish but I am going to overlook that because when they start spawning I will make some good cash at the fish auctions.

Join up in a fish club in your area, preferably a cichlid club and you should be able to find them either within the clubmembers or at a fish auction. I am a member of 3 clubs in the Cleveland area and within an hour's drive of the city, there are at least 6 fish clubs. Fish generally are pretty cheap at the auctions. I just bought 6 haplochromis ahli (electric blues) at our last auction for a measly $3. I also got a breeding pair of Kribs (regular male and albino female) for $2.
In about a month, our club is going to travel to Detroit and visit an importer of cichlids. He always sells the fish to us at wholesale prices. Wooo-eee, I love it.
This is another Nicaraguan fish. It is a 35 cm predator that specializes in eating soft rayed fishes. It's best described as a bulldog like fish. Loves to dig and defend its territory. Will stand up to any other fish and fight to the death
you dont see them around much anymore, fish like other things enjoy periods of popularity, i used to keep these back in the 70's
good luck
The little demon to which you refer is the Managuensa cichlid. It is a native of Nicaragua. I bred them for our local pet stores back in the '80's. They are quite aggressive as youngsters and will terrorize just about any tankmate. As they get larger their aggression becomes more closely related to spawning. They are very territorial.

They will eat just about anything that does not eat them first. For example, some of my larger breeders were quite fond of mediterranean geckos as snacks.

My first group of six were initially housed in a 55 gal. south american cichlid community aquarium. They soon became the resident bullies, beating up their tankmates and ravaging the tank decor. I eventually had to move them to a minimalist 100 gal species tank with only large rocks and a treated log for decorations. They seemed to enjoy the new digs, and on several occasions rewarded me with multiple nest sites brooding young at the same time.

They are not the most colorful of cichlids, but I personally find the spotted pattern very attractive, and the way the eyes turn that dark red as the fish mature is wickedly demonic. They are also fairly intelligent; they learned to recognize not only me personally, but they learned to tell the difference between when I was coming just to watch them and when I was bringing food.

Enjoy the Jaguar, but be prepared for a fish that can realistically grow to 14 inches or more in the proper tank setting (larger still in the wild). Remember that they EARNED their name, and they reputation that goes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment