Thursday, July 30, 2009

AlgaeBloom Problem.?

Hi again, we have an already stablished salt water tank and every once in while we get some algae bloom (Somebody told me it could be the lighting on the tank, it's ON 12 hours a day and OFF 12 hours at night). Any sugestions anyone?, I have tried Algone, Carbon filters and others with no success.
Answers:
Make sure that you replace your bulbs every six months, As they age, they start producing more of the lower end of the spectrum which encourages algae growth. You need to use a turkey baster to blow off and remove the growth as soon as it starts. If your tank is large enough, consider buying a tang which would eat the algae as it grows and will eat dried seaweed wafers when there isn't any. You could also add some calurpa into your tank which will out-compete the algae.
A
Don't use Algone (it's crap), as is most other wouldbe additives that supposedly cure Algae Blooms and existing Algae.

Just do regular water changes - and make sure your parameters are in order.

Whoever told you about the light was right. Saltwater Marine systems are beautiful to look at, but the light (depending on exactly how much wattage your bulb is putting out) can definitely spur Algae blooms.

I'd knock it back to only the hours you are at home viewing it, and leave it off the remainder of the time. Go get a $3 timer from your local hardware store, and you'll be in business.
you could buy a couple algea eaters the only prolem with that is that the fish will sometimes eat them. you could also clean the tank sometimes. it happens to my tank alot. I just had to clean it once in awhile I don't know if it has to do anything with the lighting.I would buy some algea eaters and if your fish eats them you will just have to clean it out once in awile. I hope this helps:)
I agree with everything sly says. Just make sure, also, your tank is not near a window! Natural sun light is hard on a tank! Keep wiping the sides down.

Good Luck
12 hours a day at what wattage? how big is your tank?

The issue is that too much of something is causing the algae to bloom. With my tank I limit my light time to 10 hours on at 5 watts a gallon for my 50 gallon sea tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment