Friday, July 31, 2009

anyone have a female betta fish?

i just got my 2 days ago and the first night it's body was all blue but the next night i trasfered it to a bigger tank but in a place with more noise and i heard if i has brownish stripes its unhappy.
do female betta fish not like noise? should i move it to somewhere quiter?
Answers:
Brown stripes don't necessarily mean unhappy. In your case- a fish that changes from bright vibrant colors to dull- not good.

Fish are very sensitive to noise. It causes vibrations in the water.

I would give it a day or two. It may just be adjusting to the water conditions and not feelin so hot.

I have 11 females- they are my girls. My three old ladies are 4inches long and they are all beautiful. The stigma that the males are prettier is completely inaccurate.

My original 3 started out in a five gallon bowl. They are much happier in their large filtered aquarium. If you can- keep your little lady in the larger space.

Note: None of my girls have brown stripes on a regular basis. The stripes came out once when they came down with a case of dropsy. Everyone survived *smile* and are back to their beautiful selves.
well i think u answered your own question (i have a betta fish but i dont no if its a boy or girl)
Move the fish to a place where there is less traffic and noise. Fish can become stressed and it can be seen in the look of the fish, behavior, etc. Add plant to create a hiding spot also and reduce stress a little.
I don't believe that it is true that brown stripes mean its unhappy. My female betta has brown stripes and she is over 5 years old. If she was unhappy I don't think she would have lived this long. Unless people are tapping on the tank or pounding on the floor causing a lot of bumping and movement in her tank I doubt that sound is an issue. Bettas like still water however so if there is a filter in the tank that could be why. Where they are from they live in stagnant still shallow rice patties. So really a plain bowl would make them happier than a big tank. As a matter of fact if there is a filter in the tank they say bettas don't live as long because they get so tired from having to swim to stay away from the current. Hope this helps. I've had over 20 bettas and their average life span has been 5 years so I'm doing something right.
Well the stripes could mean a few things.
If they're horizontal stripes thats a sign that she's ready to mate.

But normally when a betta changes color that rapidly and bars appear (I'm assuming they are vertical) it means that they're most likely stressed out.
She could just be adjusting to the new house.

Also, is she in with other female bettas? Or just other fish. If it's other female bettas she might also be displaying the stripes as a sign of being submissive because female bettas have to work out a pecking order.
If it's just other fish again she might be stressed out, it's best that female bettas are kept in at LEAST groups of 3 or more.

And last but not least, what size home was she in before and what is she in now?
It's entirely possibly that she doesn't like the bigger tank and would prefer her smaller world.
All fish like quiet places because fish scare easily and it would be much less stress on them if they were in a quiet place so move her back to the quiet place.
I'm not sure,but if you want an answer, you can research on Betta Placat too, they look a lot like female Betta Splendens
Your Betta is a girl. I keep all of my female bettas in one tank. I have noticed that when they challenge each other they are vibrantly dark colored and when one is being submissive it shows horizontal stripes and it's body color go's lite. The only female in my tank that stays vibrantly colored is my dominate female. She's definitely the bossLOL

No comments:

Post a Comment