Thursday, July 30, 2009

Am I overstocked?

I have a 125gal saltwater aquarium with a 30gal sump (filled with about 18gal), fuge, Aqua Medic skimmer, carbon, powerheads. I have a goldentail moray, small porcupine puffer, and a Niger trigger. I plan on adding a Volitan lionfish. Now my question is can I add one last fish after the lion, like a miniatus grouper?
Answers:
Yes you can providing you have a lot of live rock or places where the fish can hide. You have some territorial fish in there so they need their own spaces. As long as you have that you are certainly NOT over stocked. I have had salt water tanks for over 20 years and have had much more stock then this.

Good luck.
If possible dont.
I find groupers to be destructive and can be on the aggressive end. You can add more fish but i would advise against the grouper. I have seen what groupers can do and i have seen them take out even trigger fish in a 400 gallon aquarium.
good luck
you have enough room no problem i have a 20 gal reef tank with 8 fish and lots of coral and have had no problems
The grouper will kill the puffer eventually. Puffers like to swim freely making them a target for the aggressive grouper. A guerrilla in a tank. He'll attack and then hide. Much faster than the puffer. The trigger will even hide more because of the grouper.
you have a 125 gallon tank, go with the general rule..one inch of fish per gallon. You are defiantly not over stocked but you are building such an aggressive tank and you will eventually come into some trouble with your choices if not careful. Hate to waste money on a fish that just turns up to breakfast to another fish in your tank..Lion fish are beautiful but poisonous. have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment