Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta Fish acting strange?

I have had my betta for about 2.5 years now and for some reason the past few days he has been freaking out when I walk in the room, almost like he is going to jump out of the bowl and then he just kind of sits at the top of the water. Has anyone seen anything like this before, what is wrong with him?
Answers:
Yup. I hate to say it, but I think you're right. Beta-boy's time is coming. I used to breed them - and on occasion, I have seen some act the way you discribe - and then within the next two weeks or so they would be dead. Sorry.
Maybe he is ready to mate. Are there a bunch of bubbles on top of the water?
Okay, it may sound strange, but it might be that he thinks he's going to get fed.
Have you done a water change on him lately? Did you remember the chlorine remover in the water? I to have a beta and mine did the same thing, well I remembered that I had forgotten the chlorine remover in the water. I added it and now all's well with my fish.
Otherwise he maybe getting old. I dont know what normal life span is for a beta.
Maybe he missed ya and like a puppy he wants attention or maybe some food :)
I donno that's weird. If you have had the same one for 2.5 years that hes not scared of you. Does he have plenty of places to hide in his tank? Did you have anyone over that may have did something to scare him (kids)? I would just keep an eye on him and walk slowly when approaching him.
I'm not sure what your fish is going through, but I had one about 2 yrs ago and I had him for about 2 yrs and any time I use to go near the tank he would just swim up and down kind of fast. Then he would sit there with his gills kind of poking out. I don't know?
A bettas life span in captivity is usually 2 years and at max 4, so it might be because of old age. Mine did the same before he passed away a few days ago, he lived about 3.5 years with me.
I'm having the exact same issue right now and I know that it's because of age and it's most likely going to die soon, it's just a matter of time.

Good Luck with your fish:)



-Jenn
This sounds like age, or diease. Your betta is 3-3.5 years old, and given an average life span of 3-5 years he's pretty old. I'd try treating him with melafix/bettfix, keep his tank warm, and water clean. Also read the link on betta diseases, and have a closer look at him.
it is harder for a fish to swim at the bottom of a tank, so by going by your fish's age his eyesight is going quite bad and is freaking out trying to see what is going on then he is so tired that he just floats to the top and rest. Sorry, but it sounds like he is getting ready to go, take it from me I've been breeding for 12 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment