Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta Breeder's Again.what did I do wrong?

I have spawned 2 broods.both lived for only a week, then they died. I feed them Small Fry food for the first week and had not yet started them on brine shrimp. I looked into getting a sponge filter, but the people at the pet store said that I did not need it (all the research says to though). I can not find one anywhere in my area. Is the filter my problem? I have an airstone, but again, the pet store said it was not needed. I have a bio filter that came with the tank (5 gal), and I thought about putting foam and small mesh (to keep the babies from being sucked to the foam) around the intake to use as a filter. Will that work? I don't want to spawn again and loose those too.
Answers:
once again, i really advise you to ask bettachris on http://www.forumsvibe.com/betta/index.ph.

11 years pro, and been breeding bettas ever since. More than happy to answer any betta/fish questions.
i have no idea.all i can say is follow you intuition! trust it! it shall guide you!
If you look at the environment that Betta's live in in the wild, they need very little in the way of filtration, also no current in the water. A friend of mine bred Betta's for years and just kept the baby's in a large fish bowl or aquarium with no filter running until they were about 3/4inch to an inch long. Then moved them into a reg. aquarium.
you shold get a breeded net for the babies and it works for when breeding fish too there no more than 10 bucks and they protect the babies from the dangers of the tank. the like a smalll little secluded area with plants attached for the young to hide and the netting is fine enough so that they do not escape
Yeah, I agree on the filter thing, or the non-filter thing. They should isolated in a bowl with no filter until the become larger. Also, I would us a pinch of aquarium salt in all of my betas bowls. This keeps down on diseases and betas tolerate it very well.

Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment