Saturday, May 22, 2010

arrowhead pufferfish question?

I have recently purchased a "hognose" pufferfish.I have now noticed that my red belly pacu has ick..is it safe to use the ick drops in the tank with my new puffer? I have heard that some medicines are unsafe for them, so I thought I would make sure before I did it.
Answers:
Medicating an established tank is never a good thing. The medication will kill all the beneficial bacteria in your tank. Treat your paku in a bucket if you have to. Add a bit of salt for freshwater aquariums into your tank and raise the temperature a few degrees for a week.
Read the directions and cautions on the back of the bottle/package. Puffers have skin, not scales like most fish. A LOT of medicines are not safe for skinned fish (such as the clownloach, etc). Move your pacu to a hospital tank and treat him there. You don't want to dose the whole tank because it can whipe out beneficial bacterium, and you use a lot less in a smaller tank. Also, make sure your puffer gets proper nutrition, and plenty of snails to keep his teeth trimmed. I think the newest Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has an article all about freshwater puffers this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment