Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta Breeding : Problem?

For some reason my betta pair wont breed. I set up a tank according to various websites, fed them what was recomended, and put them in a tank with a divider. He started blowing a bubble nest, she darkened and showed the verticle stripes, they flared at each other. So i put them in a bigger tank (10 gal) with her in a plastic breeding box thing. They still showed signs, he made a bubble nest in the corner, and she looked bigger with eggs. I put them together and they chased each other for an hour before calming down. Now other than the occasional chase they stay in opposite corners or she stays hidden. There is no spawning, unless i somehow missed it when i had my eyes turned for ten seconds. Am i doing something wrong?
Answers:
I have 3 male bettas and had a female. she hated my orange male but really liked the black cherry colored one. the other one I don't know b/c she wasn't with him. You may want to get a male thats the opposite color of the female. my female was orange. it doesn't sould like you're doing anything wrong.
e-mail me if yo uhave any more problems with the bettas
i heard just leaving them alone will help.. don't disturb them for a few days.
Don't expect instant magic; remember, this breed beats the living daylights outta each other (and still magically manage to reproduce and keep their species alive!)

They could breed anywhere from within an hour to a full 3 days. And heck, maybe she doesn't like the nest he's made, or maybe your male is too aggressive.

Give it a lil time. They just met. ;)

1 comment: