Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta Breeders!?

Ok, I have done all the research I can on spawning.I have been successful.I have (at least) 30 babies.the only thing all the research did not cover was rocks in the tank.I have them.my swordtail babies never had a problem, but these babies are SO SMALL! Should I carefully remove the rocks, or will the babies be ok?
Answers:
Most baby fish are really really small, and really really numerous. You likely have more than you think. Swordtails like most livebearers go for size over quality. I've never seen breeding tank with rocks, but I'm not certain it matters. Note that instinctively fry like to hide in, and under things.
Here's what I'm guessing, they should be fine because my aunt use to have baby snails, the had soft shells, (I tried to hold one, shell cracked!) but yeah, as long as you don't have larger fish (different breed) they should be fine. Or you can ALWAYS scoop some babies to a smaller bowl instead of a tank, and when the grow a tad bigger than the pebbles, you can put them back in the tank, carefully put them in plastic bag with water, let them adjust to the tank water, and you're good to go!
leave the tank as it is, as long as you don't have an undergravel filter the fish should be fine.

if you really want to, you can siphon out the fry using airline tubing and put them in a separate tank. in removing the rocks you might hurt the fry as they are very tiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment