Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are goldfish compatible with gouramis?


Answers:
NO,goldfish excrete an oil.Gouramies are and tend to be aggressive depending on the type of gourami you have.It will nip the goldfish till it is dead.
Gouramis are tropical fish, so you need a heated tank. Otherwise there should not be any problems as long and the fish are all about the same size.
Gold fish are dirty %26 passive; and Gouramis are clean %26 aggresive.
For the price of gold fish you could try them together; but I'd try larger goldfish!!
Throw a Betta in there.
It depends on what goldfish you're getting, (because there are different types of goldfish), but I would recommend keeping the goldish in a community by itself. Those guys can get pretty big and over power the gouramis. At Petsmart, where I work, we keep the goldfish in a community by itself. If you're still not happy with my answer, email me and I can do some intense research for you.
i wouldn't put them together . goldfish like cooler water . and they are very nasty . and a goldfish needs 5 gals of water per fish . goldfish are best kept with other goldfish .
cupidgirl03 is correct I also reccomend keeping them separate.As she said Gouramis are somewhat more aggressive than gold fish and even if you buy them bigger they will still be stressed out and maybe die or be more susceptible to disease and then start the problems. Also gold fish dirty the tank more they are pigs so now you stress out the other and you have the same effect as the others. plus more water changes and a hospital tank wouldn not hurt either.
Only goldfish can go with goldfish. Goldfish excrete too much ammonia for other fish to handle and they have different dietary preferences and they get bigger.
The RULE is for baby - juvenile fancy goldfish its 10 gallons PER fish. (fantails, orandas, black moors, ryukins, ect)
Baby-juvenile long bodied goldfish its 20 gallons PER fish. (comets, commons, shubunkins)
Adult goldfish will need atleast 50 gallons PER fish because they get 12-14 inches long. Goldfish also need cooler water with alot of filtration.

Gouramis need a heated tank and the temp should be between 78-80 degrees F. Dwarf gouramis wich are community only get 3 inches and need min 10 gallons, while the other gourami varietys get 6 inches for some, and 28 inches for the giant gourami.

6 comments:

  1. I think it would be better if you separate Gold fish from Gourami ,I had an aquarium at home with a Gourami in it and later I did introduce goldfish into it not even one day the gold fish died because this Gourami is very aggressive it keeps on chasing the Gold fish until its dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I kept 6 goldfish and 2 blue gouramis. Eventually after 3 months the gouramis died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept 1 goldfish and 2 gouramis at a time when i was naive. Gouramis nipped goldfish in 2 days, i could see the injured goldie, question was, whom to return .. gouramis which were wid me over months or goldie, the victim .. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 10 goldfish (5 Oranda, 4 Fantail, 1 Black Telescope) and yesterday I introduced 2 Honey Gouramies and 2 kissing Gouramies. All are babies. Honey Gourami took time to mix up with the group and kissing Gouramies did mixed up soon as they entered the tank. All are going well as of now. Red Cap Oranda troubles Kissing Gourami sometimes :D I enjoy looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 5 goldfish each 3 inches and 1 opuline gourami 2 inches. I've had them for 2 weeks, and all respect each other's space. Gourami too slow for goldfish. I have fish in 100 gallon aquaponics system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 5goldfish (2red cap fantails,2orange fantails, 1blackmoor) and 1dwarf gourami...they all live in harmony in my community tank...

    ReplyDelete