Friday, May 8, 2009

A 30 Gallon tank good enough for a saltwater fish tank?

I decided to pick up on the hobby of having saltwater fishes. As of now I chose the 30gal because it perfectly fits my room. So its sort of a limitation for me.

A blue surgeonfish, seastarfish, cleaner shrimp, True Percula Clownfish, and maybe one angel fish is what I'm planning to put in.

I did some research and I believe I am making a "Fish Only Tank" with a few ornaments.

It would be great if any amateurs or experts gave me some insight on what it takes to care for a saltwater fish tank.

So far I have bought: the tank, sand, sea-salt, and a filter called marineland biowheel. Although I purchased this filter, anyone know if marineland is a good filter or maybe I should be looking into something else? This filter costed me $35 and glass tank was $80.

Since I am new to this, I do think I may be the best customer to get gipped. Haha.
Answers:
first not to burst your bubble but the blue surgeon will not be good for your tank one they are not the easiest fish to keep they get ick if you look at them wrong and two they get huge and need at least a 120 gal tank to be happy at full growth, that said yes a 30 is a good salt tank to start with small easy to work with and not a huge amount of work done on it for maint. the angel be carefull and get a dwarf ( coral beuty, keyhole, midnight, pygmy, potters) the other angels get massive and are monsters the most beutifull angel imo is the imperitor angel but once grown are a$$e$ and eat everything. starfish are nice but you have to watch out if you get them from a petshop like petco cause they get green brittles and dont know that they will trap and eat your fish. starfish require very clean water quality and a very stable salinity same with your shrimp. once you get a shrimp you cut the fish you get in half. the filter you got the brand is quite good i use them on all my tanks as backups but i wouldve got the double sided bioweel. if you only have 1 star and 1 shrimp you wont have to worry about it too much but if you get much more you will have to look into getting a protein skimmer. needed only for inverts and corals. if you have any other specific ?s email me
why not..good hobby..
I looked into salt water fish and was told 50 or 100 gallon tank is the minimum, that was the end of my research. That was far to big for me.

I think angel fish are fresh water.
Please research the nitrogen cycle. I don't think you should add more than one fish to a tank that size though you may be able to get away with it if they're small.
Damsels are a good, hardy starter fish.
thirty gallon is good for surgeon fish and cleaner shurinmo not too sure about clown fish though. but i'm pretty sure your tank is adequate for those fish. marineland is ok but you should look for aqeta which is best for the fish you chose.
You should really start off with a 55-gallon tank since it would be more capable of stabilizing your water chemistry. A 30 gallon won't be the most stable of tanks and if you must buy fish for it then only some of the hardiest of fish.like damselfish. You might not have much luck with other fish though.
The marineland biowheel is a good filter but isn't the most ideal for dealing with saltwater setups. What makes it such an effective filter is that it mostly harvests bacteria upon the wheel but more bacteria means carbon dioxide. Not only does this mean you鈥檒l have less oxygen in your tank but the increased amount of carbon dioxide will lower your pH and buffering ability. Think about it:
- Saltwater already contains a lower level of oxygen as opposed to freshwater so this means you鈥檒l have to be very careful about how much you put in the tank.
- In a saltwater tank you need to keep your pH high鈥ot low. Buffering or alkalinity aids in preventing pH drops.
Canister filters tend to work better for saltwater tanks, in my opinion, because they rely more on chemical filtration as opposed to biological. Yes, they鈥檒l cost more and they are difficult to setup then your current power filter but it is largely up to you. Most "fish-only" saltwater aquariumists tend to go with trickle filters with canister filters.
A 30 gallon will work fine for your first salt water tank. My first tank was a 30 gallon also鈥? You also need to pick up a protein skimmer to go with that pump and a good light. You will need about 3 watts of light for every gallon of water in you tank. So you will want at least 120 watt light I鈥檇 look for a 150 or so鈥?ornaments aren鈥檛 really too good for your tank. Just make sure you get plenty of live rock the best advice I can give is to take it slow and be patient. Oh and get a good book on marine tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment